- Obama talks about "free" contraception. It is NOT free, as Mitt should point out, but "taxpayer-paid" contraception, as those who don't pay for their own contraception through their insurance premiums will receive them thanks to the taxpayers.
- Those "tax subsidies" for oil-producers - does Obama mean "reductions in taxes" for legitimate expenses? Instead of requiring government to "invest" in alternative energy start-ups, why not let the PRIVATE sector do the investing, since that's what they're good at.
- BTW, IF any money is to be given to alternative energy, it should come from NEW oil and gas leases of public land. That should encourage the federal government to open up land to oil producers. And, in effect, the old energy will fund development of new energy.
- On suspending deportation of "youngsters" who were brought here by their parents - instead of funding new give-aways, how about pointing out that they already received, free of charge, an education through high school? And that we are willing to let them leave, without penalty - they will have equal opportunity to get a LEGAL visa in the future, the same as any other person in their home country.
- On gay marriage - is the president willing to stipulate that this will increase the number of people eligible for spousal benefits? On what grounds? The real reason for spousal benefits was that, in the past, child-bearing and child-caring responsibilities made a woman temporarily unable to work. The major cause for special treatment of women in those cases was that pregnancy was unpredictable and could occur without conscious effort to conceive. That isn't so in any gay relationship - pregnancy has to be planned and specifically desired.
- Obama still hasn't justified ignoring bankruptcy laws and giving special treatment to the auto unions - one of his BIG campaign contributors.
- The economy still is teetering on the verge of collapse, with minorities suffering the worst effects.
- The housing market is still horrible, with many in foreclosure, and mortgagees underwater.
- Although Obama plans to complete closing down the Afghanistan operation, the region is LESS stable than when he took office. The Mideast is a volatile mess, and the radical Muslims are in charge. I'm still flying, but the level of threat makes me very uneasy, and the TSA gives me little confidence that they can handle the threats.
- The border is still unsecured; the threats are not just Mexican gangs and illegals, but also reports of Islamicists paying coyotes to assist them in crossing the border.
- Don't forget Fast & Furious. Obama seems to have.
Wednesday, September 05, 2012
Debate Ideas to Consider
I've been watching the DNC convention (yes, it was occasionally painful), and have noticed some talking points that are likely to come up in the debate: