The U.S. Census Bureau lists 3,140 counties or county-equivalent administrative units in total. There are on average 62 counties per state.What the Military Rights Voting Project (MVRP) has to do is make sure that all of them have in place procedures to:
- Handle military voting registrations and absentee ballots in a timely manner.
- Send out absentee ballots in time for overseas/military mail to be received, marked, and returned. It would be great if any person with a .mil email address could be sent their ballot electronically.
- Allow electronic registrations from any resident with a .mil email address.
- Work with the military to allow bulk, non-postmarked handling of military ballots.
- Count the votes.
Now, that doesn't seem to be that difficult. But, it will take some planning and coordination.
I need help. I can't do it all by myself, at least as long as I have to work for a living. Here's what I need:
- Forward information about MVRP to everyone you know, via email, posting on Facebook sites, face-to-face contact, whatever. If you have contact with families in the military, or know someone who does, even better. Get the message out, and let those who, like us, want those who fight for democracy to be able to experience it as well, step up to the plate.
- Technical assistance. If you have experience with setting up online registration (name, address, city, state, county, contact info), even better.
- Volunteer to be point person for your state. Be the person who makes sure that every county is contacted, and that the rules for handling the paperwork at the county board of elections is uniform.