Sunday, March 19, 2017

Sunday Break

I've been looking forward to this all week - the purposeful refusal to dwell on the things of this world that will pass, and a dedication to thinking about Eternal Topics.

This week, I was thinking about Charity and Triage:

  • I'm not one to say that sheltering the homeless, welcoming the stranger, and other Cardinal Works of Mercy are not important. Certainly, many Christians can make an argument that these are legitimate uses of their time and energy, and should be at the top of their Merciful Works. I'm just not convinced that the taxpayer should pay for it.
  • Why don't the Gates, Soros, Buffett, Zuckerberg, et al, concentrate on using their money for relief for those displaced by war, building homes to replace dilapidated public housing, training ex-cons for honest work, etc? That would be a charitable use, that would easily fulfill the requirements of NGOs in the USA. Instead, they seem to delight in meddling with politically-tinged causes, such as advocating and lobbying for us to take in more refugees, without reference to whether SOME of them slipping in would be inclined to particularly pernicious forms of Islamic thought.
  • I've fallen WAY behind on my spiritual reading this Lent. All my fault (mea culpa, etc.). In fairness, the last 2 weeks have been hectic - preparing for surgery (taking off from a teaching job is WAY more work than staying, even if you're ill), then, recovering from it. I'm almost off painkillers, except for bedtime, so I should be able to stay awake after 8:30 this weekend, and get back in the groove. I hope.
  • Speaking of faults - one of mine is a tendency to speak sharply when I think - KNOW - that someone is hopelessly wrong on a topic. Why do I think it's my job to straighten that person out? Could it be that my root failing is the fundamental of the 7 Sins? Pride? I gotta work on that.
  • Family is important - this evening, we will have the rare privilege of visiting with our nephew and his wife in Charlotte. And the grandnieces and their new brother. That's one of many reasons that I'm looking forward to retirement - the opportunity to spend more time with family and friends.
Something just came into view right before this was scheduled to post. It's the idea of whatever is going on with the MANY unchurched, not just Progressives, but also Conservatives, and how they will change politics. It's worth reading.

Also - fascinating reading about Norse mythology, and the connection between pagan and Christian thought.

Share

No comments:

Lies of the Left

This COULD be a lengthy post. But, I'll try to winnow it down to a reasonable length. The CA Parent Bribery 'Scandal' - the 1...