Friday, June 01, 2018

Pushing Back Against the Culture

I'm a Fuddy-Duddy.

I already was, at a young age. Even in my teens, I was seldom one of the late night partiers. By 10:00, I was already yawning. In contrast to the many Owls (those who, like vampires, like the Night Life), I'm a Lark - up early, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

Once I got past the adolescent stage of twisting myself into a pretzel to try to qualify as 'cool', I embraced my inner nerd, and lived a life more in tune with my natural inclinations:
  • Reading - fiction, non-fiction, cereal boxes.
  • Not watching television, for the mosts part, unless there was a specific show on. In my house, the TV was off for hours at a time.
  • Not all that interested in popular music. Seldom knew the band's names or backstories. When I did feel like listening to music, I was perfectly content to listen to classical or jazz. I STILL don't 'get' the appeal of the Rolling Stones - to me, they're an over-rated bunch of poseurs.
  • Dress is casual, and tending to preppy, not sexy.
  • I don't watch the UN-Reality shows. Can't stand them. I'm not even that much of a fan of the competition shows - America's Got Talent, Dancing with the Stars. If my husband is watching them, I'll sometimes sit there, keeping him company. But, the excessive emoting and pseudo-drama turn me off.
In short, I like the Quiet Life. Following the crowd has never been all that appealing.

A lot of talk about Netflix has centered on the brand's embrace of the Obamas - him and her. Netflix spent a LOT of money to ensure that they will both have a platform, and never be reduced to living on their lavish government pensions. Debra Heine had some valid points about why we should NOT patronize the service.

This is something I've been thinking about lately, as it's not just enough to not give the Leftists money, we also owe it to ourselves to spend money on the alternatives. Heine links to a list of possibles.

BTW, don't forget to check out Gab (no, I am NOT paid to shill for them). The tone of the place has been cleaned up considerably, thanks to management kicking out the Leftists posing as Alt-Right nuts. I was so impressed by the difference, I made a commitment to a Gab Pro subscription for the next six months. I plan to make, and post, either podcasts or videocasts (I'm leaning towards the former, as I have the PERFECT face for audio).

With so many getting bounced from social media like Twitter, it's not a bad time to get in on the ground floor.

Share

1 comment:

Francis W. Porretto said...

Gab's okay on free speech, but that implies institutional tolerance for a lot of ugly stuff, including Nazism, anti-Semitism, and other pathologies. Make good use of your account's filters and you can get some enjoyment out of it.

Lies of the Left

This COULD be a lengthy post. But, I'll try to winnow it down to a reasonable length. The CA Parent Bribery 'Scandal' - the 1...