Why I Haven't Been Active Lately

At the start of August, I was hospitalized with pneumonia. Once released, I immediately started my new job (yeah, I know, not smart). I had no voice for 2 weeks, which is great when that job is teaching. However, I trudged on - I really must write a book someday, about how to teach when you can't speak.

By the end of this week, I could talk, reasonably well. My sore feet have also begun to heal. I'm going to head to Bally's today, to soak and restore some degree of health.

The good news is, we MAY have a place to live. We'll find out Monday. So, we could, within a few days, get off the motel-merry-go-round we've been on for the last 3 weeks.

I'll be posting more once we get settled in, and get some Internet at the new place.


JanuskieZ said…
Hi... Looking ways to market your blog? try this: http://bit.ly/instantvisitors
Dr.D said…
A little over 20 years ago, when I was still teaching engineering, a day came when I had no voice at all; I could not make a sound. I felt pretty good other wise, but I simply could not speak. I did not want to give up my class time as my class was on a tight schedule to finish the material that semester, so it was a dilemma.

My usual practice was to write on the board and speak at the same time, writing only a little and saying a lot more than I wrote. That day, I went into class, wrote on the board what the situation was, and that I would write the entire lecture on the board. Then I proceeded to write furiously for the next 50 minutes, putting up all that I would usually write as well as all the words that I would usually say. From time to time, I would pause, turn to the class to see if there were questions. If there were, I would write out an answer. It was utterly exhausting, but it worked. At the end of the hour, the class gave me a standing ovation to my surprise.

Good luck with getting settled into a new place to live.

Popular posts from this blog


But...The Founding Fathers Were Young, So...