GREATEST AMERICANS?
I found the above link from Betsy's Page. I've read her blog for some time, but, for no good reason, never added her to the Blogroll, until now.
I just checked the Greatest American nominees, and it's a truly terrible list.
How can you not have Jaime Escalante, who showed American teachers that, even in the most poverty-ridden minority school, you could demand, and get, excellent work from the students?

How could you create a list that doesn't include the Four Chaplains of WWII, who demonstrated a committment to the greater good, and sacrificed their own lives, that other men might live?

For crying out loud, HUGH HEFNER made the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a VERY great distance between notorious and great. Just because someone is well-known, does not make him/her great.
I just checked the Greatest American nominees, and it's a truly terrible list.
How can you not have Jaime Escalante, who showed American teachers that, even in the most poverty-ridden minority school, you could demand, and get, excellent work from the students?
How could you create a list that doesn't include the Four Chaplains of WWII, who demonstrated a committment to the greater good, and sacrificed their own lives, that other men might live?
For crying out loud, HUGH HEFNER made the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a VERY great distance between notorious and great. Just because someone is well-known, does not make him/her great.
Comments
Plus, anything of that sort is striclty subjective. To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to it. Were there any qualifications or parameters to nominate someone? Or just one, that being they were an American?