Friday, June 03, 2016

Settling In

I changed the template (never bothered to get it professionally done), made some small changes, and notified the host company that I would be dropping my site.  Haven't made a decision about the domain, but am leaning towards releasing it.

Unless you have a physical product, securing your own domain may not be needed for most relatively small businesses.  There are those that buy up domains and squat, hoping that they'll hit gold when a business takes off and needs to secure the name.  I'm inclined to think those days are gone.  Most businesses can adapt fairly easily, due to the expansion of usable names in other countries (*.tv, *.ca, etc.).

I had a VERY restful week - lazily browsed the news, visited with family, and didn't do all that much.  I didn't even write, except for a few comments on other sites.  Mostly, I read.

I have found the Motherlode - Baen Free Books.  I hugely enjoyed reading the free science fiction short stories; I'm now working my way through non-fiction science and tech shorts.

I never enjoyed reading non-fiction when young.  It was an acquired taste, prompted by my need to read about science topics.  There are some great writers in that sub-genre, who can take a relatively complex topic, and make it understandable to the average man.  Don't poo-poo that skill - it's needed desperately.

I've been mulling over an idea I had related to that - I may try writing short-short stories, either straight sci-fi or mysteries, using them as a way to engage students while teaching the science concepts.

Share

3 comments:

JWMJR said...

Interesting concept, using sci. fi. to teach hard science. I've often thought about using a prospective change of singular events in history to teach how history actually flows from one event to another.

JWMJR said...

Interesting concept, using sci. fi. to teach hard science. I've often thought about using a prospective change of singular events in history to teach how history actually flows from one event to another.

Linda Fox said...

As I am also a certified History teacher (specialized in Latin American history, and quantitative analysis of historical data), I agree, this would be useful.

Lies of the Left

This COULD be a lengthy post. But, I'll try to winnow it down to a reasonable length. The CA Parent Bribery 'Scandal' - the 1...