Saturday, November 19, 2005

Sometimes, I hate getting old

Oh, I actually don't dislike it. At least most of the time. Sure, it's sometimes a shock to catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror or a store window. My mental image of myself is about 10 years younger, and about 35 pounds lighter. But, in general, I like my age (54).

But, for the last month or so, I've been waking up to stiff and sore hands. The other body joints respond to a few minutes of gentle stretching, and, thereafter, are flexible.

Not my hands.

Why is that such a big deal? My mother had rheumatoid arthritis, and spent the last 15 years of her life in a wheelchair. Her hands had the twisted appearance characteristic of that disease. It was hard to watch a woman who had used her hands (crocheting, sewing, holding a book she was reading, etc.) struggle to handle basic activities.

Like her, I've enjoyed crafts for years. I spend inordinate amounts of time on the computer, particularly in blogging. Without use of my hands, I would lose out on activities that comprise an enjoyable and sizable part of my life.

I'm going to try losing some weight (good timing, Linda - right before the Thanksgiving/Christmas/holiday season), and see if that helps. I'm not a good candidate for anti-inflammatory medications, as I have a tendency to ulcers, and I'm sensitive to aspirin. If anyone has some suggestions on reducing the swelling and/or relieving the pain, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Tags = Health and Wellness

No comments:

Lies of the Left

This COULD be a lengthy post. But, I'll try to winnow it down to a reasonable length. The CA Parent Bribery 'Scandal' - the 1...