Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Mid-week Update

Wilma is on her way out, having done about all the damage she will be able to. From what I hear from the locals here (SC), the hurricane season should start to wind down from now on. There may still be activity, but it should be lessening.

My daughter has just set up a web camera. Her husband has taken a new job out of town, so they'll have a commuter marriage for a few months (like mother, like daughter). The camera will be a big help.

I had a presentation on our new interactive learning system (think of a projection system, with mixed text, graphics, and video - and a classroom full of kids with remotes, answering questions). The board loved it - we had to practically pry the remotes out of their hands. I've installed the base system on my laptop, so I can construct new stuff for my classes. It does take a little time to make, so I'll only do a new one about once a week. But, over time, I'm hoping that all the teachers in the department will spend a little time getting a set of these presentations/quizzes together, so we can all benefit.

I've been reading a lot in my evenings. I have no TV, so I've found myself with a lot of time on my hands. That's been a good thing - sometimes, I don't think we, as a society, realize how much time is sucked away by watching TV. I've had time to get on the Internet, even with dial-up, get back to practicing my recorder (I've just about got "When the Saints Come Marching In" down), and studying for the PRAXIS (it looks as though I'll get a free re-take, probably in January).

The Bird Flu menace seems to dominate many of the headlines. It's been detected in birds from Asia to Europe. The US will probably, in a relatively short time, find itself facing an outbreak. What would that mean? I'm guessing that the poultry industry will have to slaughter a whole lot of birds, to calm the public.

It doesn't seem to matter to consumers of chicken - apparently, all you have to do is cook the poultry or eggs thoroughly. But, it's sure to feed the panic that springs up regularly, thanks to trash TV - especially trash news.

I'm just waiting for the Miers hearings - I'm betting that it'll be a bloody one. After losing so decisively with Roberts, the only way the Democrats can restore what the French call their "Amour propre" - that exaggerated sense of self-esteem that seems almost laughable - is to savage the next nominee. Harriet, I hate to tell you, but you've probably gotten the nomination to serve as the sacraficial lamb. Maybe she knows that. I hope so. I'd hate to think she's walking into this blindly. If she survives, she'll have to be good. Or lucky.

Tags = News and Politics

No comments:

Lies of the Left

This COULD be a lengthy post. But, I'll try to winnow it down to a reasonable length. The CA Parent Bribery 'Scandal' - the 1...