Sunday, October 23, 2005

Famous vs. Important

I was reading a meaty series of posts on Sigmund, Carl and Alfred, and I just had to excerpt from one in particular
In our time, however, the incredible has happened. The court jester has become the king. Those who play the heroes have become the culture's actual heroes. Those who direct fantasy movies are directing the direction of our youth. And with entertainers as the principal people we look up to, so much of our society has become silly and trivial.

This is exactly what was going through my mind as I watched the narcissism of the Academy Awards. In America today, there exists not a single mainstream televised awards ceremony for anything other than movies, television, acting and music. Even when brave soldiers are awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for gallantry, it is not broadcast on television.


With these "shining" examples dominating the media choices every night, is it any wonder that our society becomes more than a little confused about their importance? Why, in God's name, would we let our children watch people whose values are so contrary to our own?



I have a little suggestion: before watching anything on TV, ask yourself - would I let these people watch my precious children without supervision? If not, why would I let my child spend time with them, even at a distance?



Charles Barkley, the basketball player, said it straight:

  • My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I had no character.
  • If I weren't earning $3 million a year to dunk a basketball, most people on the street would run in the other direction if they saw me coming.
  • And, his most famous quote - I am not a role model. I am paid to wreak havoc on the basketball court. Parents should be role models. Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids.


Amen, brother, amen.

Tags = Entertainment and Media

No comments:

Lies of the Left

This COULD be a lengthy post. But, I'll try to winnow it down to a reasonable length. The CA Parent Bribery 'Scandal' - the 1...