Sunday, March 05, 2017

Sunday Break

I'm fascinated by politics, and the intersection of it with culture. Hence, those two major themes underly much of my posting.

Not today, however. It's Sunday, and I'm using Lent as an excuse NOT to post on my usual topics on my day of rest.

Assorted thoughts/ideas:

  • I'm a catechist at my church (St. Anne Church, Rock Hill, SC). I facilitate the Adult group that meets on Wednesday evening. This coming week, the group will be looking at G. K. Chesterton (alas, I will not be there - I have a conflicting science workshop to attend). For more information about Chesterton, most of which I did not know before preparing for our group, go here.
  • I'm simultaneously following Lenten dietary practices, and doing Weight Watchers. Good timing, it turns out. Most of the stuff I shouldn't be eating is the sort of stuff that ends up on most people's Give Up for Lent list. I did NOT give up any food for Lent; instead, I decided to spend time each day reading something worthwhile. Don't ask how that is going - I may have to dedicate an entire day to catching up, soon.
  • I've been grading a good portion of the last 3 days. Unlike earlier years, when I would do a 1 or 2 day blitz to catch up, I've found that extended time trying to read students' handwriting leaves me with blurred or double vision. I've had to learn to chop up those marathon sessions into mini-blitzkreigs.
  • One thing that I've been doing enough of to start achieving competency is learning Morse Code (CW, as it's called by radio operators). There is an online program that is self-paced, and quite good. I'm already starting to recognize letters by sound. Is CW necessary? No - you can connect by voice, digital, or other means. It's just NEAT, and a very efficient way to do so on the road, with minimal equipment, low power, and in poor signal conditions.
  • I've been praying for a friend of my eldest daughter - she is dying of breast cancer. It was only discovered at a very advanced stage, after years of misdiagnosis. I can't entirely blame the doctors - her symptoms were vague, and could easily have been something else. She is not 40 years old, and is likely to die within a short time. Susan will be missed by all - she is a good hearted, earnest, and fun-loving person.


Share

No comments:

Lies of the Left

This COULD be a lengthy post. But, I'll try to winnow it down to a reasonable length. The CA Parent Bribery 'Scandal' - the 1...