Sunday, March 15, 2009

Nearing 200,000

I just noticed that the sitemeter is nearing the 200,000 mark. It's been great doing this, and I'm looking forward to the next 200,000 visits.

I found this post in the Jonah Goldberg archives; it's particularly apt now.
People ask, “Why is there poverty in the world?” It’s a silly question. Poverty is the default human condition. It is the factory preset of this mortal coil. As individuals and as a species, we are born naked and penniless, bereft of skills or possessions. Likewise, in his civilizational infancy man was poor, in every sense. He lived in ignorance, filth, hunger, and pain, and he died very young, either by violence or disease.

The interesting question isn’t “Why is there poverty?” It’s “Why is there wealth?” Or: “Why is there prosperity here but not there?”

At the end of the day, the first answer is capitalism, rightly understood. That is to say: free markets, private property, the spirit of entrepreneurialism and the conviction that the fruits of your labors are your own.
What makes me sleep at night, even though our retirement accounts are plunging faster than a Reality-TV participant's sense of dignity?

My human capital - I have a Physics and Chemistry certification, and that is a speciality in high demand. If, God forbid, I could not teach, I have computer skills, experience in sales, and a willingness to tackle nearly any job - and a history of having done so, successfully. My husband has the same capital assets.

Many people are willing to "do anything". They earnestly ask for jobs, not being too particular about the conditions or pay. I admire their willingness to work.

Unfortunately, if their skills are limited to non-existent, they may not be able to compete. They lack the human capital assets of education, experience, and knowledge. Think about that when planning out your future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Lies of the Left

This COULD be a lengthy post. But, I'll try to winnow it down to a reasonable length. The CA Parent Bribery 'Scandal' - the 1...