Sunday, December 16, 2007

Annual Christmas Cold

I've had a scratchy throat for the last week, as well as all the other icky symptoms that traditionally signal the onset of rhinitis (a simple cold). Today, after coughing for over an hour, I finally got smart.

I hunted down the nebulizer.

For the non-asthmatics, that's a machine that mixes an asthma solution with air, and pumps it into my respiratory system.

That dry, irritating cough? An early warning sign that I'm having an attack - it's dry, because asthmatics can't move the secretions out of their respiratory system. The medication helps me do that. After a treatment, I start to get what doctors call "a productive cough". It's gross, but effective.

I've been lucky for the last year - few problems with attacks, able to manage on daily meds alone. But, one cold can trigger a problem.

The trick is to get it dealt with early, before it escalates.




Which brings me to my topic of today. I read Ron Silver's latest post. It's about fear - what is unreasonable fear, and what is reasonable fear.
Pain, though unpleasant and sometimes debilitating, is at times, necessary. It is our body’s way of warning us.

Fear, though unpleasant and sometimes debilitating, is an equally valuable instrument of preservation. When we are cut, it is natural to cry out in pain; and when those who would cherish our destruction threaten us, we ought to be afraid.

In February of 2004, NYU held a conference about fear. The conference was called “Fear: Its Uses and Abuses.”

Go check out the post, and read the reasoned arguments of a reasonable man. Not a common quality in Hollywood.

No comments:

Lies of the Left

This COULD be a lengthy post. But, I'll try to winnow it down to a reasonable length. The CA Parent Bribery 'Scandal' - the 1...