Friday, July 07, 2006

Quantity vs. Quality

Found via Dean's World, a provocative post about blogging:
Daily posts are a legacy of a Web 1.0 mindset and early Web 2.0 days (meaning 12 months ago!). The pressure around posting frequency will ultimately become a significant barrier to the maturity of blogging. Here are 10 reasons why.
Eric Kintz gives multiple reasons why, for the not-in-the-top-50 blogger, daily posting may not be necessary. In fact, contrary to conventional wisdom, frequent updates to your blog may actually drive readers away.

I'm not totally convinced. True, there are those bloggers who blather aimlessly, in an attempt to keep those regular posts in view. I've read some of them. Even if they posted less frequently, they would be boring.

And then there's Lileks. Posts regularly, often just a meandering update of his life. But fascinating nonetheless. The difference is that he can write - well.

I've cut down on regularity this summer. I've had to make a choice between blogging and my family. They won.

Once school starts, I'll boost the frequency of posting. I'm semi-convinced that there's a connection between readers and school being in session. Many, many bloggers (and readers) go on semi-hiatus during vacation times.

Tags = Blogging

1 comment:

Akaky said...

I dont know; wouldnt it depend on what kind of blogger you were? I cant imagine Instapundit not posting morning noon and night 24/7, whereas if I tried that I would drive myself nuts.

Lies of the Left

This COULD be a lengthy post. But, I'll try to winnow it down to a reasonable length. The CA Parent Bribery 'Scandal' - the 1...