Thursday, July 07, 2005

MANY, MANY THINGS HAPPENING TODAY

I was stuck at work today, and only had access to CNN. They seemed to be covering the London bombings fairly well, if overly focused on the man-in-the-street aspects of the situation. As of late this afternoon, I had only heard speculation about the possible terrorist causes of the tragedy.


My supposition about the attacks is that they were planned, long ago, and have been in place for the main Western contenders for the Olympics - Paris, London, and New York. They were triggered by the announcement of winning the bid.


From Fox News, a picture, taken by camera phone, of the subway evacuation.



Expect the popularity of camera phones to drive more on-the-scene pictures of news stories.


Tony Blair showed a bit of that Churchillian spirit:
"The perpetrators of today's attacks are intent on destroying human life. The terrorists will not succeed. Today's bombings will not weaken in any way our resolve to uphold the most deeply held principles of our societies and to defeat those who impose their fanaticism and extremism on all of us.

"We shall prevail and they shall not."
Might I add that England is NOT Spain? I just can't see them folding in abject submission when threatened. In a pinch, the "yobs" of Britain will kick the terrorists' backsides. All the peace education of recent times hasn't tamed their spirit - for heaven's sake, they'll commit major violence over a soccer game. Imagine what they could do with a good excuse for a fight.


London Mayor Ken Livingstone said:
"I want to say one thing: This was not a terrorist attack against the mighty or the powerful, it is not aimed at presidents or prime ministers, it was aimed at ordinary working-class Londoners," Livingstone told reporters.

"That isn't an ideology, it isn't even a perverted faith, it's mass murder," Livingstone said. "We know what the objective is. They seek to divide London."



I'll be modifying my sidebar to display the British flag for a time.



You might want to do the same. I know I took heart at the sight of the US flag after 9/11, especially when seen on foreign soil (or blogs).


On a personal note, a blogger I've been acquainted with for a while has experienced a personal tragedy. Her husband died suddenly last week. Her blog is at An American Housewife. Her contributions to the blogworld will be missed.


From The Sundries Shack, Jimmie Bise, Jr. dissects a statement from Tom Hayden (is he still around? Guess without a rich wife, revolution is hard) on the London attacks. Big surprise - England and the US should use the bombings as a prompt for reflecting on what WE'RE doing wrong. Tom is big on urging people to take personal action against the big, bad, EVIL ruling classes:
In fact, screw democracy altogether. Like Hayden says, if you don’t like what the government is doing, just step around it and take matters into your own hands. If your government won’t surrender to the terrorists, go right ahead and do it yourself.

I thank God that the world doesn’t work the way Tom Hayden thinks it does. I’m too old to learn Arabic, my knees are way too bad to pray to Mecca five times a day, and I look horrible in a beard.


I've got a lot more to say, but I need, as the British say, to go to the loo.

No comments:

Lies of the Left

This COULD be a lengthy post. But, I'll try to winnow it down to a reasonable length. The CA Parent Bribery 'Scandal' - the 1...