Thursday, October 28, 2004

LOOKING FORWARD TO THE PAST

While working to avoid work, I stumbled across something I hadn't seen before. At A Shot in the Dark, I found a link to Ronald Reagan's speech in 1964.

As a long-time Democrat, I'd never heard the speech or read it. I was told what it was about from other Democrats. And, at the time, that was good enough for me.

Since blogging, I have come to appreciate the value of checking out assertions by going to the source documents, if possible. Now, if someone references a speech by an opponent, I at least check out the text, if not the audio, to verify for myself. Over time, some of these people gain my trust for their reliability.

A point the Gipper makes I had never heard before, but it resonates in my mind:
Not too long ago two friends of mine were talking to a Cuban refugee, a businessman who had escaped from Castro, and in the midst of his story one of my friends turned to the other and said, "We don't know how lucky we are." And the Cuban stopped and said, "How lucky you are! I had someplace to escape to." In that sentence he told us the entire story. If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth.


This has never been truer than today. Vote with that in mind.

No comments:

Lies of the Left

This COULD be a lengthy post. But, I'll try to winnow it down to a reasonable length. The CA Parent Bribery 'Scandal' - the 1...